SALES AND MARKETING SEGMENT: CONVENTIONS/MEETINGS
- Increase the awareness of metro Detroit as the “comeback city” and prime destination for meetings, in order to increase the total number of visitors and economic impact to the region.
- Implement initiatives the dispel outdated perceptions of the region and provide accurate safety and new development information that impact our ability to attract meetings.
- Leverage partnerships with third-party planners and key customers to secure marketing sponsorships and ad placements to further expose the destination to potential meetings customers.
- Create awareness and interest in the revitalized Cobo Center in order to increase bookings.
- Highlight the Suburban Collection Showplace and hotels as prime locations for meetings and conventions.
- Increase emphasis on suburban PR initiatives that spotlight metro Detroit's viability and attractiveness as a meetings destination.
- Increase the number of single hotel leads to meet growing inventory throughout the region.
- Work with core hotel groups to determine priority accounts.
- Grow business from companies and associations that have booked smaller programs.
- Attend meetings on a local, state, regional and national basis with key industry organizations.
- Attend trade shows and conduct monthly sales trips.
- Work with third parties to grow awareness and business.
- Grow local support to help generate interest and bring national events to metro Detroit.
- Determine accounts best suited for Cobo Center and Suburban Collection Showplace.
- Work on multiyear agreements for state association groups to utilize Cobo Center or Suburban Collection Showplace.
- Determine accounts that have met in Grand Rapids, Lansing and Traverse City.
- Establish Michigan Customer Advisory Board (CAB).
- Determine accounts that have met in primary and secondary competitive sets to determine interest in metro Detroit.
- Continue to host the Family Reunion Planning Seminar in fall.
- Ambassador program – need local high-profile contacts when pursuing citywide business.
- Increase partnership with union market both nationally and locally.
- Promote West Oakland multi-hotel partnership.
- Establish core group strategy meetings in Wayne and Oakland counties.
- Support the DMCVB sales team with targeted advertising, interactive and publishing tools that showcase metro Detroit as a dynamic, affordable and accessible region for meetings/conventions.
- Evolve "America's Great Comeback City" messaging to tout Cobo completion, new development, dining and progress that would appeal to meeting planners.
- Target vertical segments of associations, engineering, automotive, technology and pharmaceutical.
- Secure prime advertising positions in leading meetings and conventions publications. Publications include: Associations Now, Associations Forum, Tradeshow Executive, Midwest Meetings, Meetings Focus and Meeting Professionals International (MPI) publications.
- Target meeting planners with specific initiatives in a three-to five-hour drive range, plus New York and Washington, D.C.
- Leverage sales partnerships to increase advertising opportunities.
- Use partnerships with MPI and Multiview (B2B digital marketing) to align with meeting planners in vertical markets.
- Continue momentum from the 2015 American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) Annual Meeting & Exposition with targeted messaging and testimonial ads in association publications.
- Update convention sales pre-post-show e-blasts and digital invites.
- Retain social media consultant throughout 2016 for outlining DMCVB interactive plan.
- Produce quarterly sales e-newsletter for sales database.
- Update three-part email welcome series to complement sales client signups.
- Expand LinkedIn presence to serve as an industry leader in education and meeting services and introduce social selling process for sales team.
- Implement the social media promotional process for conventions.
- Create PDF resources to enhance blog posts and e-blasts and capture email addresses.
- Support sales team efforts through interactive marketing elements.
- Work with Cobo Authority to execute a schedule of press releases and events to keep trade media up to date on Cobo events.
- Assist in the development and execution of an Open House for local/regional trade press, local customers and residents to see the completed Cobo Center.
- Maintain ASAE momentum with regular press releases targeted to trade publications and hosting individual trade writers.
- Leverage advertising partnerships for added-value editorial in trade publications.
- Attend hotel and attraction openings and renovations in order to promote progress on a quarterly basis to trade press.
Print and Digital Publishing
- Create an interactive map of the downtown core.
- Update the visual system in support of the DMCVB brand and create a new, clear, user-friendly guidelines document for the meetings market.
- Develop sales collateral piece in third quarter that highlights regional tourism assets.