SALES AND MARKETING SEGMENT: CONVENTIONS/MEETINGS
- Provide the sales team with the research-based marketing tools to entice meeting planners to consider metro Detroit as a viable destination for meetings.
- Develop a platform on crime to equip sales team with proactive, accurate information about the state of safety in metro Detroit.
- Develop marketing materials to target market segments of engineering, automotive, technology and pharmaceuticals.
- Update current brand promise in ad campaign if warranted, after research of meeting planners and leisure travelers is complete.
- Increase digital presence in all media geared to meetings market.
- Promote metro Detroit hotels, Cobo Center and Suburban Collection Showplace at all trade shows and events.
- Include metro Detroit hotels, Cobo Center and Suburban Collection Showplace on sales calls if appropriate.
- Provide metro Detroit hotels, Cobo Center and Suburban Collection Showplace appropriate leads.
- Attend shows and solicit group tour market.
- Conduct site visits as needed with customers.
- Promote the family reunion seminar.
- Continue solicitation of state market, corporate specific.
- Conduct hotel site visits as needed with customers.
- Conduct core market strategy meetings with hotel directors of sales.
- Continue strategic partnership with Michigan Society of Association Executives, Engineering Society of Detroit, Society of Government Meeting Professionals, Maritz/Experient, Conference Direct, HelmsBriscoe, Association Management Company Inc. and others.
- Determine state association groups for Suburban Collection Showplace.
- Present at downtown hotel association monthly meetings.
- Conduct meetings to review citywide opportunities four times per year.
- Promote West Oakland multi-hotel partnership.
- Provide transportation, sponsorship and marketing support for all qualified groups.
- Establish core group strategy meetings in Wayne and Oakland counties.
- Continue to educate hotels on citywide business and the need to comply with timelines regarding bids, blocks and contracts.
- Establish citywide policies regarding contracting Cobo Center, Suburban Collection Showplace and hotels.
- Continue emphasis on targeted citywide opportunities determined by the DMCVB and Cobo Center.
- Post American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) follow-up with attendees.
- Secure prime advertising positions in leading meetings and conventions publications to promote key regional meetings assets such as Cobo Center, Suburban Collection Showplace and other meeting venues.
- Add digital presence to accompany all print advertising in meetings publications.
- Expand buy with Multiview to include search and site retargeting ads as well as ads that target key meetings such as ASAE and Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives (CESSE).
- Continue ASAE post-show momentum with targeting messaging and testimonial ads in association publications.
- Leverage sales partnerships to increase advertising opportunities.
- Continuously update convention sales pre/post show digital e-blasts and invitations.
- Produce quarterly sales e-newsletter for sales database.
- Update three-part email welcome series for clients that register.
- Create a business-focused editorial calendar with dedicated writer to develop blog, magazine and other meetings related content.
- Implement a standardized interactive strategy for promoting incoming conventions based on size and prominence of group.
- Expand and update LinkedIn profiles of sales staff. Use LinkedIn to showcase DMCVB as a leader in education and meeting services.
- Work with Cobo Authority and Suburban Collection Showplace to distribute quarterly news releases that outline coming events and updates on facility improvements.
- Host individual trade publications on an ongoing basis.
- Leverage advertising partnerships for value added editorial in trade publications.
- Attend hotel and attraction openings and renovations in order to promote new product to trade press.
Print and Digital Publishing
- Complete the merger of VisitDetroit.com and MeetDetroit.com.
- Improve web assets for meeting planners, including up-to-date vibrant photos and a toolkit of other promotional resources for attendance building.