MARKETING SEGMENT: LEISURE
- Implement integrated marketing campaign. Two markets will be targeted: adults, the primary market for downtown; and families, emphasizing new attractions in the suburbs.
- Reach markets in three- to five-hour drive radius, primarily in Ohio and Chicago.
- Implement year two of Hometown Tourist campaign. The goal is to create awareness of importance of tourism to the local market, primarily to secure sponsorships for convention groups and DMCVB initiatives.
- Launch phase one of LGBT marketing program, including membership in International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association, presence on website and attendance at various travel/local LGBT events to develop partnerships.
- Update current brand promise in ad campaign if warranted, after research of meeting planners and leisure travelers is complete.
- Launch new website that provides an enhanced digital experience to visitors and planners as well as supporting teams through improved analytics and best-in-class features.
- Execute new social media strategy that focuses on story driven content and integration with bureau and member marketing plans.
- Deliver a new ad campaign message that is the next evolution of "America's Great Comeback City" based on results of research with travelers.
- Develop advertising creative that targets families and features new key attractions in suburbs such as Sea Life Michigan Aquarium and Jimmy John's Field.
- Increase digital presence through TripAdvisor, Expedia, Hotels.com and other productive third party booking sites as identified by agency.
- Add Pandora Radio to media buy.
- Reach LGBT market through digital and print marketing opportunities.
- Investigate and implement one or more experiential advertising ideas that encourage visitors to participate in a branded experience and then post photos to social media.
- Improve the quality and content of Discover The D TV on PBS and identify and expand its reach through new networks.
- Continue Pure Michigan partnership on regional broadcast buy.
- Incorporate digital advertising with print buys in various leisure magazines.
- Increase content production of blogs, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Focus social efforts on Facebook and LinkedIn for Detroit/brand messaging and Instagram for photos.
- Develop universal content calendar to share and integrate with DMCVB members and their social media channels.
- Perform a trial run with Snapchat to determine usefulness as a promotional tool for the DMCVB.
- Host an annual influencer lunch for top bloggers, social media leaders and entertainment influencers for a discussion about Detroit.
- Continue sending monthly leisure e-newsletter to database subscribers.
- Develop and publish compelling blog content to attract potential visitors to sign up for monthly e-newsletter.
- Attend member and community events to post live updates.
- Create contests and social media giveaways to attract followers and promote member events and attractions.
- Expand Facebook advertising to increase followers.
- Attend and exhibit at travel media trade shows to reach leisure travel editors, including Society of American Travel Writers, Midwest Travel Writers Association, Travel Massive, TravMedia Marketplace, North American Travel Journalists and Travel Media Showcase.
- Expand airline opportunities with Delta and others. Secure presence in inflight publications. Create experiential opportunity on inbound Delta flight to promote the region and create social media engagement.
- Host a family-fun press tour to spotlight new attractions in the suburbs: Polk Penguin Conservation Center, Sea Life Michigan Aquarium, Legoland Discovery Center Michigan and Jimmy John’s Field.
- Partner with Travel Michigan on a shopping and small towns press tour to emphasize suburban towns with signature restaurants and boutique shopping.
- Host a post-tour for the Society of American Travel Writers Central States Meeting.
- Create profile sheets for the LGBT market. Encourage LGBT publications to write about local product.
- Host qualified individual travel writers throughout metro Detroit.
- Repeat and expand Hometown Tourist Day in Campus Martius Park. Consider print/radio and broadcast partners.
Print and Digital Publishing
- Complete merger of Visit Detroit and Meet Detroit websites mid-year.
- Develop and deliver a responsive mobile experience to address growing mobile usage.
- Continue to publish Visit Detroit magazine twice annually, enhancing the story content to include new attractions and events in the tri-county area. Primary distribution is metro Detroit hotels, visitors, convention delegates, meeting planners, reunion attendees and subscribers.
- Identify and organize LGBT assets on Visit Detroit website.
- Produce updated "Eat, Stay and Play" map.
- Update D Discount Pass on an ongoing basis as new members are added.
- Expand Visit Detroit blog presence highlighting attractions and events throughout region.
- Introduce improved analytics and monthly metrics to ensure that data drives website decisions.
- Host second annual Discover The D Hometown Tourist Day in Campus Martius Park in conjunction with National Tourism Week.
- Repeat partnership with WJR Radio during National Tourism Week to highlight tourism and its impact on the local market.