With thousands surging into the city, downtown will be hectic, so here are a few things to do in Detroit and know before you go:
- First pitch is at 1:10 p.m. It’s best to get downtown a few hours ahead of time to score prime parking or partake in any number of the citywide festivities.Tip: If you’re planning on seeing the first pitch, give yourself plenty of time to get through Comerica Park security. Get in line at least an hour before to be safe.
- Parking will be hard to come by if you don’t get downtown early. Figure out Comerica Park parking beforehand and how much cash you’ll need to have on hand to pay. Depending on location, lots will open hours before the game.
- If you don’t want to worry about parking — or driving, for that matter — reserve a ride with The Detroit Bus Company or one of the many other Detroit transportation services.
- If you want a seat for the game, it’s best to have a ticket before you head out. Look for Detroit Tigers Opening Day tickets at StubHub, the official fan-to-fan ticket marketplace for the Tigers.
- There’s really no bad seat in the house, but some do cost more than others. This Comerica Park seating map lets you pick your ticket by price.
- Be sure to wear your Tigers gear. If you don’t have anything, or are looking to add to your collection, swing by Detroit Athletic Co. or one of the metro Detroit malls to pick up some swag.Tip: It’s an unofficial holiday, remember? So fans go all out. The more navy and orange the better. Bonus points if you paint your face with tiger stripes.
- As for the forecast, we’re faced with Michigan weather in the beginning of April. Do your no-rain-dance and hope for the best.
Not going to the game? No problem. Here’s where the party is at.
BONUS: Catching a baseball game in downtown Detroit is even more fun with the Take Me Out to The Ballgame Baseball Package, which includes accommodations at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, breakfast for two, complimentary valet parking, $20 in Tigers Fun Money valid at Comerica Park and more!