Want to know what it was like to live in the ages of Knights of the Round Table, fair maidens and juggling jesters? Find out at the Michigan Renaissance Festival. Here are a few things to know before you go:
About the Festival
The Michigan Renaissance Festival is an interactive outdoor fair that recreates the look and feel of a fictional English village during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in the latter half of the 16th Century.
Continuous entertainment takes place on the streets and on 17 themed stages, which feature full-contact armored jousting, comedy and theater shows, music, games, people-powered rides and more. There’s also plenty of food, including those famous giant turkey legs and more than 300 artisans displaying their works.
If you’re feeling adventurous, go in costume and join in on many of the different audience participation skits.
The annual festival is held on the fairgrounds in Holly, located at 12600 Dixie Highway.
The festival runs every weekend from Aug. 19, 2017 to Oct. 1, 2017, plus Labor Day and Friday Sept. 29, 2017. Hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., rain or shine.
The festival has themed weekends, offering repeat visitors a different experience each time they go.
- Aug. 19-20: Royal Pet & Ale Fest featuring a pet festival, fairy house voting and mural competition
- Aug. 26-27: Highland Fling featuring the Highland Heavy Games and the Flint Scottish Pipe Band
- Sept. 2-4: High Seas Adventure featuring a beard and tattoo competitions and Knights on Bikes
- Sept. 9-10: Wonders of the World featuring a belly dance competition, wine tastings and a Dr. Who costume contest
- Sept. 16-17: Shamrocks & Shenanigans featuring the Irish Heavy Games, wine tastings and the Flint Scottish Pipe Band
- Sept. 23-24: Harvest Huzzah featuring a barbecue festival and an archery competition
- Sept. 29: Festival Friday is School Day, Ladies Shopping Day and free admission for military personnel and first responders. The night is capped off with a masquerade ball, for an additional cost
- Sept. 30-Oct. 1: Sweet Endings featuring a chocolate festival and the chance to compete for a whirlwind wedding
You can purchase tickets at the gate when you arrive. Avoid the lines when you purchase tickets online. Group rates and season passes are also available.
Each weekend, residents of three cities can receive $3 off their admission simply by presenting their ID at the Festival Box Office as proof of residence.
Plenty of free parking is available on the festival grounds, just be sure to wear comfortable shoes it could be a hike depending on when you arrive.