Each year we share the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCVB) marketing plan, which includes our departmental objectives and strategies. Please take a look through this plan for 2018, as well as the activity calendar, to see how you can be involved with the DMCVB and increase your own business.
Watch the DMCVB ad campaign
A Message from the CEO
Dear Industry Partner,
I think we can agree that 2017 was one for the record books in terms of our local hospitality industry. All economic indicators— average income, consumer spending, the Dow Jones, hotel occupancy rates and average daily rate — were positive. Leisure travel across America boomed despite political turmoil, terrorist acts and terrible weather events. And, the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCVB) and Detroit Sports Commission (DSC) booked some very high-profile events for metro Detroit. It was a great year.
This year, our industry is still poised to succeed. Our tourism product improves every day and the media attention is making our region hard to ignore. We have evolved from “America’s Great Comeback City” to a region that is a viable, exciting destination today. For that reason, we will soon launch a new advertising campaign that is action oriented and speaks to the region today and in the future. Stay tuned.
We will also host 40 high-profile groups with attendance of 1,000 or more in 2018, generated from the DMCVB and DSC. The largest groups include FIRST Robotics, 40,000 attendees; National Black MBA, 21,000 attendees; NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament (first- and second-round games), 30,000 attendees; and the USA Volleyball Girls’ Junior National Championships, 40,000 attendees.
The 2018 DMCVB Marketing Plan outlines all of the major initiatives the bureau will execute this year to increase awareness of the metro Detroit tourism product and to attract leisure and convention groups to metro Detroit. We encourage you to look through this plan regularly and contact us when you have questions or when you see opportunities to get involved. In fact, to get the most value from your membership, we encourage you to:
- Participate in sales familiarization tours and trade shows by contacting Jennifer Miller at 313-202-1943 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consider advertising in the award-winning Visit Detroit magazine, which is published by the DMCVB and distributed to guest rooms of all metro Detroit hotels. Check out Visit Detroit magazine advertising rates, specs and contact information.
- Note publication dates for Visit Detroit magazine and make sure your listing is up to date for the magazine as well as our website, visitdetroit.com. For assistance, contact Leanna Sullivan at 313-202-1852 or email@example.com.
- Use our Partner Portal or website to upload events and deals to visitdetroit.com.
- Follow us and join the conversations on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Sign up to receive leisure email updates.
- Sign up to receive our convention sales e-newsletter and email updates for hotel news, to see which conventions have booked metro Detroit and more.
- Share news about your business with our public relations team that regularly reaches out to media across the country and in some international destinations. News should be sent to Renee Monforton at 313-202-1951 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Deanna Majchrzak at 313-202-1999 or email@example.com.
We are looking forward to another amazing year marketing and promoting our region and welcoming visitors worldwide. Thank you for your partnership.
President and CEO
Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau