Even for people with the brightest holiday spirits, nothing can be worse than going to a boring office party. But for a lot of companies, the heyday of big, extravagant office holiday bashes is long-gone.
Ditch the Potluck
Despite this, there are plenty of creative ways to get in the holiday spirit with your coworkers this season without resorting to a boring potluck lunch.
Whether you love hanging with the team or dread even having to think about a happy hour, these 10 creative ideas will have you looking forward to the boss’ calendar invitation this holiday season.
10 Creative Detroit Ideas for Your Work Party
- Take a cooking class. With four locations in Michigan, Sur La Table is a great option. You can also check out the cooking school at Holiday Market or cooking events at Eastern Market’s community kitchen.
- Go on a bus tour. Motor City Brew Tours offers guided walking or bus tours of breweries in downtown and metro Detroit.
- Check out the Fowling Warehouse. Football + bowling = fowling. If you haven’t yet checked out this uniquely Detroit sport, the Fowling Warehouse is an awesome group activity. P.S. It’s pronounced “foe-ling” not “fowl-ling.”
- Step back in time at Greenfield Village. Going to The Henry Ford’s annual Holiday Nights events is like stepping into a Hallmark movie set in the 1900s. Check out their dining packages at Eagle Tavern or grab your own grub in downtown Dearborn before.
- Enjoy the Christmas lights along Hines Drive. Westland offers a uniquely bright experience each year for the annual Lightfest at Hines Park. Create a carpool or rent a party bus to take you down the Midwest’s largest and longest light show.
- Get locked up in an Escape Room. Maybe getting locked in a room with your colleagues sounds terrifying, or maybe it sounds hilarious. There’s only one way to find out. This group activity is a true test of teamwork.
- Get competitive on the court. If you’d rather duke it out on the court, check out Whirlyball or the Detroit Dart Club. Nothing gets adrenaline pumping like keeping score against your coworkers.
- Make history. The Detroit Historical Museum is an interactive and fun venue for hosting a private event for up to 1,000 guests. Have the museum to yourselves and enjoy a delicious catered dinner on the streets of old Detroit.
- Host a movie screening. Cinema Detroit is a funky art house cinema that shows independent, foreign & classic films. Rent out one or both theaters and have your very own movie night with up to 200 of your closest work friends.
- Take a ride on the BYOB Christmas Light Trolley. Grab a group of your office pals, pick from one of 21 days in November and December to get dressed up in your favorite holiday wear, and join for the third annual BYOB Christmas Light Trolley Tour in Troy.
So instead of passing the potluck signup sheet around the office, talk to the boss about checking out one of these options this year. Your crockpot will thank you.
- Eastern Market
Russell Street between Mack Avenue and Gratiot Avenue, 2934 Russell St., Detroit, MI 48207313-833-9300 Highlight on map | More Details
- Motor City Brew Tours
- The Henry Ford
20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn, MI 48124313-982-6001 Highlight on map | More Details
- Detroit Historical Museum
5401 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202313-833-1805 Highlight on map | More Details