Your Guide to Eastern Market Restaurants
Story by Danielle Alexander | Photos by Bill Bowen
Eastern Market is the largest outdoor farmers market in the nation.
In addition to the farmers, retailers, wholesalers and vendors, the market has become a go-to spot for amazing and memorable Eastern Market restaurants in The D, including (but not limited to) the following:
Eastern Market Restaurants
- Bert’s Market Place (famous for its soul food) Besides its soul food and drinks, Bert’s Market Place also has live entertainment seven days a week. On Saturdays, you can watch racks of ribs being grilled outside right in the middle of the market action.
- Cutter’s Bar & Grill (known for its contemporary American cuisine) Cutter’s Bar & Grill is always flowing with great people, great food, great drinks, great conversation and only of the juiciest burgers you can find in Detroit. So if you’re at Eastern Market on a Monday-Saturday, check it out!
- Detroit City Distillery (popular for its artisanal whiskey, gin and vodka)
Thirsty? And not just for water? Detroit City Distillery is open Tuesday-Saturday and even hosts tours! Sip on the Trainwreck if you're into vodka, or a Smoked Salted Lynx if gin is more your thing.
Detroit City Distillery by Bill Bowen
- Eastern Market Brewing Co. (famous for its craft beer) Eastern Market Brewing Co. creates the classics, as well as one-of-a-kind beers using local flavor from Eastern Market ingredients. This classic beer hall venue doesn't serve food, but small snacks are for sale.
- Frank’s Meat & Produce (popular for its corned beef) A full-service deli counter, Frank’s features corned beef, Amish poultry and much more.
- Gather (famous for its seasonal rotating menu) Gather is a 30-seat restaurant in Eastern Market that not only offers guests wood-fired cuisine, but also food that is sourced from local distributors, businesses and farmers. The menu changes with the seasons, but they will always have a cocktail slushie on deck (the rosé slushie is a crowd favorite).
- Louie’s Ham & Corned Beef (known for its large breakfast menu) Louie’s Ham & Corned Beef is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, seven days a week.
- Louisiana Creole Gumbo (popular for its Cajun) If you’re craving an exotic Creole dish, a hot-and-spicy Cajun entrée or old-style Southern comfort food, check out Louisiana Creole Gumbo, which is open seven days a week.
- Mike’s Coney & Pita (famous for its falafel) Whether you’re in the mood for Middle Eastern food, Coney dogs or something else, Mike’s is the spot.
- Russell Street Deli (known for soups, salads, sandwiches and Saturday breakfasts) Providing farm-fresh, locally grown food to the entire metro Detroit area, Russell Street Deli is a go-to spot in Eastern Market for its deli sandwiches, soups and really everything else on the menu. There are many vegetarian and vegan options to choose from, too.
- Sala Thai (popular for noodle dishes and Thai entrees) Open seven days a week, Sala Thai has a cozy-Thai environment, “luscious” food, a sushi bar and (can’t forget about) a liquor license.
- Stache International (famous for its house-made meat selection and sandwiches) Stache International is known for having food that has an “international flair using familiar ingredients.” The Stache Favorite, made with the flavorful house-made bologna, is not to be missed. It’s open Tuesday-Saturday.
- Supino Pizzeria (known for its signature Supino pie) Open Tuesday-Saturday for both lunch and dinner, Supino Pizzeria is one of the most popular pizzerias in the city of Detroit; the big slices and wine/spirit options are what keep visitors coming back. Try a red or a white pizza, the pasta of the day or the meatballs (they're mouth-watering good).
- Thomas Magee’s Sporting House Whiskey Bar (popular for great beer and whiskey)
Thomas Magee’s prides itself as being your bar for the Detroit Pistons, Lions, Red Wings, Spartans, Tigers, Liverpool, NFL, NHL and The MLB. With happy hour specials Monday-Friday, and all-day specials Monday-Thursday, there is no reason not to stop in for a game and a drink! Thomas Magee's doesn't serve food (unless you count the loaded Bloody Mary), but you can bring in any food from surrounding restaurants, like Stache International's Stache Favorite, which is right next door.
Thomas Magee's Sporting House Whiskey Bar by Michelle and Chris Gerard
- Vivio’s Food & Spirits (famous for bloody marys and mussels) Family owned since 1967 and located in the Eastern Market community since 1976, Vivio’s Food & Spirits has a large menu, including seven different mussel options, as well as several vegetarian items. Eastern Market’s oldest bar is especially popular for its bloody marys, and guests do have the option to purchase a bottle of its famous bloody mary mix!
- Zeff’s Coney Island (known for omelets, Coney dogs and sandwiches) Open Monday-Saturday for both breakfast and lunch, Zeff’s Coney Island is not your typical Coney Island. In addition to the American staples, the restaurant offers guests seafood, steaks and Mexican foods, as well as New Orleans-inspired recipes and delicious Eastern beef, poultry, pasta and vegetables.
Freelance writer Danielle Alexander could really go for a bloody mary at Vivio’s right about now.
Check out more of the best restaurants in Detroit
Mentioned Attractions And Venues
Get Directions (313) 567-2030
Great food, drinks and live Entertainment every day of the week. Experience delicious soul food…
Get Directions (313) 338-3760
Creates small-batch artisanal whiskey, gin and vodka using the finest local ingredients sourced directly from…
Get Directions (313) 833-9300
The largest outdoor farmers market in the nation, encompassing more than 43 acres and founded…
Get Directions (313) 832-4299
A full-service deli counter featuring corned beef, fresh Amish poultry, cut-fresh-daily steaks, chops and ribs.
Get Directions (313) 831-1800
Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great food at a great price.
Get Directions (313) 567-1200
A taste of New Orleans in The D. Choose from exotic Creole dishes, hot-and-spicy Cajun…
Get Directions (313) 974-6895
Serving creative sandwiches and bites that have an international flair using familiar ingredients. House-made sausages…
Get Directions (313) 567-7879
This cozy, checkerboard-floored pizza shop serves the signature Supino pie topped with roasted garlic, black…
Get Directions (313) 263-4342
An old-school sports and whiskey bar located in the Eastern Market district. Every sport, every…
Get Directions (313) 393-1711
Located in historic Eastern Market, Vivio's is world-famous for its bloody marys and its mussels…
Get Directions (313) 259-4705
Featuring American staples, such as omelets, Coney dogs and sandwiches.
You May Also Like
Meet Me at the Market | Eastern Market Detroit
Like so many other Detroit neighborhoods, Eastern Market has been experiencing monumental growth.
13 Places to Shop in and around Eastern Market
Eastern Market is known as the largest historic market in the country that celebrates “the…
Green Guide to Detroit
It seemed to have started with urban gardens. And now the city of Detroit has…