Detroit is the perfect pet friendly vacation spot for you and your four-legged companions, from hotels to dog bakeries, here’s why you and your fury friend should come to Detroit.
1. Where to Stay with My Dog in Detroit: Pet-friendly Hotels
After a day on the town, you and your pet can relax in one of metro Detroit’s many dog-welcoming accommodations, ranging from historic downtown hotels to suburban chains. Take it from Melissa Halliburton, author of the pet travel book Ruff Guide to the United States.
- Westin Book Cadillac Detroit: “They allow two dogs under 40 pounds in each room for no additional fee and have a ‘five bone’ rating,” said Halliburton. The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport also allows dogs less than 40 pounds for no additional fee.
- MotorCity Casino Hotel. “They are popular because they allow up to two dogs under 30 pounds in each room, but there is a charge of $125 per pet per stay,” said Halliburton.
- The Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront allows two dogs up to 40 pounds, with a pet fee of $25 per stay, and a $50 refundable deposit.
- The Residence Inn Detroit Novi – Marriott allows two dogs up to 80 pounds each, for a fee of $100 per stay.
- The Sheraton Detroit Novi allows two dogs up to 80 pounds each, provides dog beds and has an area to walk pets adjacent to the hotel.
- Towne Place Suites Marriott Detroit Novi allows two pets per room, up to 100 pounds each, $100 nonrefundable fee.
2. Where to Take Your Dog: Dog Parks, Day Cares & Bakeries
The Motor City is going to the dogs — in a good way. Here are some attractions and addresses designed to make your dog’s days happy ones.
- The Mall at Partridge Creek is an open-air mall and a popular spot for pooches. Several dog comfort stations are located in the common areas. Look for signage at store entrances that denote dog-friendly stores.
- The Pet Beastro is sort of a health food store for pets. Owner Jill Tack stocks high-quality food, safe treats, natural toys, organic herbs and essential oils, and offers alternative health treatments for dogs and cats. She’s also working toward a doctorate in pet naturopathy.
- Grand Circus Dog Park is in the heart of downtown and is operated by Detroit’s Recreation Department. Fenced with shade trees, tables for sitting and artificial turf.
- Midtown Dog Park is sponsored by Midtown Detroit Inc. and Shinola, maker of luxury watches, leather goods, bicycles and pet accessories. Fenced with picnic tables. Admire the large Shinola city clock.
- Camp Bow Wow offers boarding, day care and grooming (excluding hair cuts). This business will come to your home or hotel room to pet-sit.
- Oakland County Parks have three dog parks, and canines are welcome on leash also at Addison Oaks, Catalpa Oaks, Groveland Oaks, Highland Oaks, Independence Oaks, Rose Oaks and Waterford Oaks.
- Traffic Jam & Snug is a bakery/brewery/restaurant in Midtown welcomes pets to join the party on the outdoor patio.
- Some Canine to Five doggy day care locations in metro Detroit host leashed riverfront pack walks weekly, May through October. Canine to Five also offers grooming for your four-legged friend.
- In Grosse Pointe Farms, Lisa Bardy not only bakes organic and nonorganic treats at her Bow Wow Baketique, including wheat-free and gluten-free offerings, but she also hosts a weekly ice cream social year-round on Thursday evenings.
Other pet-centric places where you can pamper your pooch — or favorite feline for that matter:
Cass Corridog in Midtown • Teacups & Toys Pet Boutique in Birmingham • 3 Dogs 1 Cat in Detroit • Bone Appetite in Utica • Halliday’s Pet Resort and Day Care in Canton • The Urban Dog in Rochester Hills • Three Dog Bakery in Clinton Township • Woofhaven Dog Park in Woodhaven • Bark-A-About Pet Activity Center and Resort in Shelby Township
3. Traveling With Pets
- Detroit Metro Airport treats four-legged travelers are VIP guests. All pets must stay in their travel crates, except when nature calls. Then they can use either of two animal relief areas at each of the airport’s two terminals. Look for signage indicating “Service Animal/Pet Relief Area.”
- Catch a ride with Crown Limousine, which is dog-friendly and will gladly transport crated animals and their owners to their accommodations, said owner James Daniels. Only catch: Dogs must stay inside their carrier during the entire ride to minimize any allergic reaction for subsequent limo guests.
See more things to do in Detroit while you and your pet are traveling.
- Detroit Metro Airport
2500 World Gateway Place, I-94 at Merriman Road, Detroit, MI 48242734-AIR-PORT (24Highlight on map | More Details
- Detroit RiverFront Conservancy
600 GM Renaissance Center, Ste. 1720, Detroit, MI 48243313-566-8200Highlight on map | More Details
- The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
1114 Washington Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226313-442-1600Highlight on map | More Details
- The Westin Hotel - Detroit Metropolitan Airport
2501 Worldgateway Place, Detroit, MI 48242734-942-6500Highlight on map | More Details
- MotorCity Casino-Hotel
2901 Grand River Ave., Detroit, MI 48201866-782-9622Highlight on map | More Details
- Crowne Plaza - Detroit Downtown Riverfront
2 Washington Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226313-965-0200Highlight on map | More Details
- Residence Inn by Marriott - Detroit Novi
27477 Cabaret Drive, Novi, MI 48377248-735-7400Highlight on map | More Details
- Sheraton Detroit Novi Hotel
21111 Haggerty Road, Novi, MI 48375248-349-4000Highlight on map | More Details
- TownePlace Suites - Detroit Novi
42600 W. 11 Mile Road, Novi, MI 48375248-305-5533Highlight on map | More Details
- The Mall at Partridge Creek
17420 Hall Road, Clinton Twp., MI 48038586-226-0330Highlight on map | More Details
- Canine to Five Dog Daycare, Dog Boarding and Grooming
3443 Cass Ave, Detroit, MI 48201, United States313-831-3647Highlight on map | More Details
- Bow Wow Bake Shop
20207 Mack Ave, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236, United States313-469-7204Highlight on map | More Details
- The Pet Beastro
27637 John R Rd, Madison Heights, MI 48071, United States248-548-3448Highlight on map | More Details
- Grand Circus Dog Park
Witherell St & E Adams Ave, Detroit, MI 48226Highlight on map
- Midtown Dog Park
Cass Ave & W Canfield St, Detroit, MI 48201Highlight on map
- Camp Bow Wow
19795 E 9 Mile Rd, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, United States586-445-9663Highlight on map
- Addison Oaks County Park
1480 W Romeo Rd, Leonard, MI 48367, United States248-693-2432Highlight on map
- Groveland Oaks County Park
14555 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442248-634-9811Highlight on map
- Highland Oaks County Park
6555 Milford Rd, Holly, MI 48442, United States248-858-0906Highlight on map
- Independence Oaks County Park
9501 Sashabaw Rd, Village of Clarkston, MI 48348, United States248-625-0877Highlight on map
- Rose Oaks County Park
10501 Buckhorn Lake Rd, Holly, MI 48442, United States248-858-0906Highlight on map
- Waterford Oaks Water Park
1702 Scott Lake Rd, Waterford Twp, MI 48328, USA248-858-0918Highlight on map