So what is there to do with your children after 5 p.m., when many kid-friendly hot spots have closed and your little ones are still rearing to go? Plenty! Here are a few suggestions of where you can enjoy a family-friendly evening. (We’ll leave it up to you how late you let the kiddos stay out!)
- Be amazed by the water creatures at the Sea Life Michigan Aquarium. Best of all, it’s adjacent to Great Lakes Crossing Outlets, so you can do a little shopping or grab dinner at Rainforest Cafe after. (TIP: Get a 20 percent discount on admission to the aquarium with The D Discount Pass).
- Take a night off from cooking dinner and share a Coney dog and chili cheese fries with the kids at American Coney Island, a favorite with Detroiters and visitors since 1917.
- Get tickets to watch the Detroit Red Wings play.
- See an evening show at the historic Fox Theatre.
- Visit the Warren Community Center Indoor Water Park, where you can take the kids for a swim no matter what the weather is outside.
- Enjoy more than 200 state-of-the-art games at the midway at Dave & Buster’s in Utica.
- Catch a flick at Emagine Entertainment in Royal Oak. Not only will you get an hour or two off from chasing the kids around, you can even enjoy an adult beverage while you watch the movie.
- Go bowling at Garden Bowl “America’s oldest active bowling center and Detroit’s original home of Rock n’ Bowl.”
- Star gaze at the Cranbrook Observatory, which is open every Friday and Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. during Daylight Savings Time and 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. during standard time, weather permitting.
- Let your kids burn off some energy at Jungle Java. This indoor play center has locations in Clinton Township, Farmington Hills, Canton and Ann Arbor.
- Bounce on the giant inflatables at Pump It Up in Shelby Township. During Family Jump-N-Pizza nights, admission is only $6 per child, adults jump for free and you get 25% off your food order.
- Go for a spin on the carousel at Lakeside Mall. The mall’s 36-foot, double-decker carousel debuted in late 2006 and is located near the back of the food court. Ask for a reward card when you go: When you pay for five rides, the sixth is free!
- Let the kids climb on the fruits and veggies at the play scape at The Mall at Partridge Creek.
- Pay a visit to Campus Martius Park. The 2.5-acre park is a year-round outdoor venue with gardens, performance stages and an ice rink in the winter.
- Play laser tag, enjoy arcade games and more at CJ Barrymore’s Family Entertainment Center in Clinton Township.
See more activities in Detroit.
- Sea Life Michigan Aquarium
4316 Baldwin Road, Auburn Hills, MI 48326866-622-0605 Highlight on map | More Details
- Great Lakes Crossing Outlets
4000 Baldwin Road, Auburn Hills, MI 48326248-454-5000 Highlight on map | More Details
- American Coney Island
114 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226313-961-7758 Highlight on map | More Details
- Detroit Red Wings
Little Caesars Arena, 2645 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201313-349-5777 Highlight on map | More Details
- Fox Theatre
2211 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202313-471-3211 Highlight on map | More Details
- Emagine Entertainment & Star Lanes
200 N. Main St., Royal Oak, MI 48067248-414-1000 Highlight on map | More Details
- Garden Bowl
4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202313-833-9700 x20 Highlight on map | More Details
- The Mall at Partridge Creek
17420 Hall Road, Clinton Twp., MI 48038586-226-0330 Highlight on map | More Details
- Campus Martius Park
800 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48226313-962-0101 Highlight on map | More Details